Friday, May 22, 2020

Freeway Fighter - Attempt 5

Regular commenter Unknown reminded me last week that my first attempt at Freeway Fighter ended when I was blown up while crossing a bridge, so not every attempt I've had ended by running out of petrol.  Still, three such anticlimactic endings in a row are bad enough.  I'm confident now that I've figured the petrol thing out: I've found the first two cans, and I know how to get the third.  If my sense of Fighting Fantasy pacing is correct, I shouldn't need any more, so I feel like I have a decent shot this time.

For my stats on this attempt I rolled a Skill of 10, a Stamina of 27, and a Luck of 7.  For my car I rolled a Firepower of 8 and an Armour of 26.  Skill aside, those are some very bad rolls indeed.  A lot of 1s and 2s in there (literally and figuratively, if you know what I'm saying).  I may have cracked the fuel problem, but I get the feeling that I'll struggle to win through otherwise.

I kicked off the adventure in my now customary fashion, ignoring the first few encounters and shooting the Red Chevvy with a missile.  (It bugs me that Ian spells it with two Vs, but my personal style guide dictates that I have to follow his lead.  That don't mean I gotta like it!).  I soon got a radio message about an attack on New Hope, and the kidnapping of Sinclair.  At the first junction I decided to turn right rather than left.  I knew from previous games that there was petrol to the left, but there was also a bridge I had to jump, and I didn't want to risk failing the required Skill check.  I passed an ambulance on the side of the road, and decided to ignore it (having discovered that it was booby-trapped in an earlier game).  I also ignored a road leading south, which is where I got blown up on my first attempt at the book.  I continued east, into unexplored territory.

It wasn't long before I came to a roadblock made of upturned cars and trucks.  I thought about blowing it up with a rocket, but I'd already used one, and decided to keep it in reserve.  Instead I drove around the roadblock, and as I did I was surprised by two leather-clad bikers in an armoured motorcycle.  One of them shot at my car while the other slammed a limpet mine against my rear wheel arch (reducing my Luck to 6).  I decided to keep on driving as the mine exploded, blowing my wheel off the rear axle (and reducing my Armour to 24).  

I had to fight the Motor Cycle (Skill 6, Firepower 9) while my car was stationary, so I was at a disadvantage (my Firepower was temporarily reduced to 6).  The bikers got one good hit on me before I was able to kill them (reducing my Armour to 18).  I went over to the wrecked bike with a med-kit in one hand; it might have looked like I was trying to save them, but I still had my pistol drawn and I was really going over there to finish the buggers off.  I needn't have bothered.  One was already dead, and the other only survived long enough to utter his final words: "Fat Jack and the boys will get you for this."

I looted their bike's side pannier, where I found 200 credits and a pair of handcuffs.  I also found a map, and on it was the location of New Hope circled in red.  No doubt this was the same gang that attacked my home town, and took Sinclair.  I noted that a town named Rockville was also marked with an X, and figured that it was probably their home base.  Fat Jack better watch his back, because I was coming for him.

I changed the wheel on my car and took off.  Soon I came to a dirt road heading south, with a sign that said "Rockville".  I turned to the south, determined for a measure of vengeance.  As I neared the town, worried that the dust I was kicking up would announce my presence, I saw a flash of light from some boulders in the distance.  A bazooka shell exploded a few metres to my left (missing due to a successful Luck test that reduced my score to 5).  I pressed down on the accelerator to close the distance on my attackers, and saw them race off on a pair of motorbikes.  I gave chase, and saw them disappear into a cluster of farmhouses.

Add this one to the roster of Very Boring
FF Illustrations.

I heard gunfire coming from the houses, and once again thought about using a rocket to flush my attackers out.  I was feeling conservative though, so I kept on driving towards the houses.  I avoided the gunfire (with a successful Skill test), but was not so lucky when they fired another bazooka shell at me.  A bullet punctured my tire, and I was a sitting duck as the bazooka shell exploded, badly damaging my car (this left me with an Armour score of 12, and a Luck of 4).

With little choice remaining to me, I fired a rocket at the farmhouse, and watched in satisfaction as it was blown to pieces and engulfed in flames.  Eat that, Fat Jack.  I quickly fixed my punctured tyre, and heard someone calling for help from the wreckage.  Against my better judgement I want to investigate, and found Sinclair, miraculously alive (which restored my Luck to 5).  He gave his thanks, and drove off on a motorcycle, heading for New Hope.

I decided to stay and search the general store.  I found a can of meat, which I greedily devoured, and a can of petrol, which I chucked in my boot.  Feeling good about my finds, I decided to keep searching the town, and headed for the nearest house.  Inside, I was faced with a hallway and a choice between two doors.  I chose the door to the right, only to find that it was booby-trapped with a crossbow.  The crossbow bolt thudded into my shoulder (reducing my Stamina to 21, and my Luck to 4).  Figuring that both doors couldn't be booby-trapped, I tried the other.  Inside I found a toolkit containing a pair of wire-cutters.  They were hardly worth getting shot with a crossbow, but I took them anyway before driving out of town.

I soon came to a junction, and turned east.  After a time I came to another junction, and turned south towards San Anglo.  As night was falling I had to stop and refill my car with petrol.  I slept in my car overnight (restoring my Stamina to 23) before heading off in the morning.

As I was driving, and Armoured Car attacked me from behind, but I took care of it with an oil spray, which sent it skidding off the road.  At the next junction I turned west, and drove about 80 km before turning south again.  I soon came to a rough road leading off to my right, and decided to investigate.  I had found a Blitz Race, and I decided to stake 200 credits to enter and win a can of petrol.

My opponent was driving a yellow Ford.  We drove up to the starting line, and waited until the flags were waved.  I got the better start (with a successful Skill check) and took the lead.  The Ford rammed me from behind, but I was able to maintain control (with a Luck test that reduced my score to 3).  I decided to slow down and let the Ford overtake me for a bit, but realising that I had no forward weapons that were legal in the race, I tried to overtake again.  I rammed the Ford, but it had steel-plated crash bars, and I only succeeded in damaging my car further (reducing my Armour to 10).

My son tells me this could be a GT40, or
maybe a Ford Capri. I have no idea.

I managed to overtake the Ford (with a successful Skill check), and decided to retaliate with some iron spikes.  Unfortunately, the spikes failed to release correctly (due to a failed Luck test that reduced my score to 2).  The Ford fired a grenade at me from its launcher, and it exploded underneath my car (reducing my Armour score to 1).

We reached the halfway point of the race, and both U-turned to head back to the finish line.  I was slightly in front, and the Ford decided to start ramming me once again.  My car was in such a bad state that the first ram wrecked it.  With no car I had no chance of reaching San Angle, and my adventure was over.

THE POST-GAME

I had a real run of bad luck with the dice in the game.  I started by rolling some terrible scores, particularly that Luck of 7, and from there had a string of bad rolls that significantly damaged my car.  I was probably too conservative with my rockets, as well.  My only consolation is that it's likely I wouldn't have survived to make it through the rest of the book anyway.  Ah well, at least I didn't run out of petrol this time.

7 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the mention and acknowledgement! Much appreciated, as is the contents of your blog. You're definitely on the right path now, as the ending mentions that you can't consider your mission a complete success unless you've rescued Sinclair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall it doesn't prevent me from reaching 400 though, does it? I'd still consider that victory enough. And then, I could ruthlessly use my newfound influence to step into Sinclair's place and take over New Hope.

      Delete
  2. Nope, failing to rescue Sinclair doesn't stop you from reaching 400.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing that stops you from reaching section 400 is the fact that there are only 380 sections in this book. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice observation! I thought it was only Starship Traveller that had Paragraph Deficiency Syndrome.

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of Clive Sinclair speeding off on a motorcycle after being blown up with a missile.

    ReplyDelete