Saturday, July 20, 2019

Sorcery! Attempt 13 - Books 1-3

For my extremely lucky not at all a cursed number 13th attempt at Sorcery! I rolled a banger of a character: Skill 10, Stamina 22, Luck 9. I had a lot of confidence going into this game, and I was absolutely certain that I could get to Book 4. What could stop me with scores like those?

Predictably, I blasted my way through The Shamutanti Hills. I even got a little cocky at the end, and killed the Manticore with my sword after slowing it down with a DOZ spell. Normally I would fend it off with HOT and run away, but I was feeling a little bloodthirsty.

Khare - Cityport of Traps fell just as easily. With my Skill at the highest level, I took on the Deathwraith with the silver arrows, and didn't resort to calling on Libra for aid. This meant that I was able to start The Seven Serpents with maximum stats. Not only that, but with an enchanted broadsword and an armband of swordmastery, my effective Skill was 13. I had 29 gold pieces, 7 meals, and a bunch of items to help me cast spells and improve my chances in melee. Those earlier run-throughs - giving me a lot of familiarity with Book 1 and 2 - were paying off, as I was in the best shape I'd ever been heading in to Book 3.

My dominance continued with Book 3. I figured out how to avoid fighting the Nighthawks at the beginning.  I defeated the Moon Serpent, and bought a whole load of useful items from the Dark Elves. I met the Sham, and fought the Earth Serpent. My Stamina was holding up well, and everything was looking good.

Even better, when I got to the Forest of Snatta I took the left fork, and along the way I spotted a snake slithering through the underbrush. I followed it, suspecting that it might be the Fire Serpent, and sure enough when I got close enough it caused a nearby tree to explode into flames, badly singeing me.


I remembered to use my ring on the serpent, and got the following clue: "eat not from the larder of Throg if your journey should cause you to meet her".

I didn't have any particular idea how to defeat the Fire Serpent, but when asked if I "have something else in mind" I decided to check out the options. One of those options was to use some sand, and I had found a pouch earlier. I was able to smother the serpent's flames, and easily kill it with my sword.

At a junction further on I took the left-hand path, but as I stopped to rest I was attacked by a hungry bear. I tried to communicate with it using a YAP spell, but all it had to say was how hungry it was. I had to fight it, but with my Skill effectively at 14 now (augmented by a chainmail shirt I'd bought from the dark elves) I made short work of it.


After that I was out of the woods, and I had reached the edge of Lake Ilklala. Unfortunately, I had no way to cross, and without a way to summon the ferryman there was no way for me to continue. I was still alive, but my adventure was over.

THE POST-GAME

Well, I turned left when I should have turned right, which might be the most Fighting Fantasy way of losing a gamebook there is. It's frustrating, because I was doing really well, and was on track to beating all seven of the Archmage's serpents. If I'd gone right, presumably I would have found Fenestra, and gotten the item I needed to summon the ferryman. The most frustrating thing is that my guy just gives up upon reaching the lake. Hey mate, just go back a mile or so, you'll find what you need! He doesn't even try to call on Libra for aid.  What a quitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment