Wednesday, March 26, 2014

My Adventure Begins Here

I love the fantasy genre.  My favourite novels are fantasy, I love computer rpgs in fantasy settings, and my favourite table-top game is Dungeons & Dragons.  But before I discovered Dungeons & Dragons, before I even started reading fantasy literature, I found Fighting Fantasy.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the series, here's a brief run-down.  In 1982 Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone (co-founders of Games Workshop, the company that created Warhammer) published The Warlock of Firetop Mountain through Penguin Books.  It was like a Choose Your Own Adventure book (only not crap) with the added benefit of dice-rolling for combat and other situations.  In other words, Jackson and Livingstone had fused Choose Your Own Adventure with Dungeons & Dragons, and created the gamebook.  The series continued until book 59, with various authors contributing, and it had something of a revival about a decade ago.  The books sold millions.  Millions and millions.  I've read that at one point the top 5 UK best-sellers were all Fighting Fantasy books, though I can't locate the source now.  Needless to say, they were a phenomenon in the UK, and they were omnipresent here in Australia as well.

My first encounter with them was in my primary school library, which had the first three: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, The Citadel of Chaos and The Forest of Doom.  I played through those with various levels of cheating involved, and the series remained a constant part of my gaming life for years.  They were my introduction to D&D-style fantasy, and my perception of that genre is still massively influenced by them.

When the series' 30th anniversary hit in 2012, I hatched a plan to play through all of them one by one.  I've completed a lot of them, mostly the earlier ones, but far from all of them.  But 2012 came and went, and I never got around to it.  Even so, that itch remained.  I might have missed the anniversary, but I still want to complete the whole series, and that's where this blog comes in.

My plan is to read each Fighting Fantasy gamebook, starting with book 1 and going all the way to the most recent one, which at last count was Blood of the Zombies by Ian Livingstone (yes, Wizard Books occasionally publishes a new installment).  I have but one rule: no cheating.  No re-rolling dice, no fingers marking my place in the book to take back a bad decision, and no walkthroughs.  I'm going to play every one legit, and record how many attempts it takes me.


There are some other FF play-through blogs out there, if the series takes your fancy.  Turnto400 is the funniest of the lot.  Fighting Fantasy Project provides more in-depth reviews.  Fighting for Your Fantasy is another that is rather good.  Or you could just hang around here and read my posts.  Those blogs tend to do a single attempt at a book before moving on to the next one.  My plan is to stick with one book and attempt to complete it without cheating before I continue.  It sounds like a good plan, but things could get tedious when I hit a book I'm not familiar with.  And then there's Crypt of the Sorcerer, which could conceivably take me hundreds of tries...

So, onward!  Next post, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment