Thursday, September 10, 2015

Deathtrap Dungeon - Attempt 2

It's time for me to take a second crack at Deathtrap Dungeon.  Last time, despite my certainty that I knew the way through, I took a couple of wrong turns and missed some vital items.  Now I'm certain certain that I know which way to go, so the only trouble I should have will be related to my stats and the luck of the dice.

CHARACTER CREATION
I rolled a Skill of 10, a Stamina of 23 and a Luck of 7.  The dice have been kind to me so far, though that Luck score is going to give me some problems.  I chose the Potion of Fortune to try and off-set that bad score.

THE ADVENTURE
This isn't going to take long.  I chose the exact same path as in my last attempt; you may wish to read that post if you're not familiar with the book.  I had an easier battle with the two Orcs, as they didn't disarm me this time.  Conversely, I had all sorts of trouble with the Flying Guardians, who hit me six times and dropped me to 11 Stamina.  I failed the Luck test after that encounter to retrieve my rope as well, which is never a good sign; that rope comes in very handy later in the book.

I pressed on quickly through the book; I was trying to get to the bits I hadn't played last time.  Rushing in this way made me careless, and I forgot to restore my Stamina with provisions.  My Stamina got whittled down piece by piece, and by the time I fought the Skeleton Warrior I only had 6 points left.  I had the Skill advantage, and was sure that I would win, but the dice were against me.  The Skeleton Warrior killed me, and I failed in my quest.

THE POST-GAME
It's obvious where I messed up, really: I should have eaten some provisions.  That's what I get for rushing, and being over-confident.  Next time I'll know better.  (At least it made for a quick post; I didn't even have to scan any images.)

No comments:

Post a Comment